Legal Help

How to get legal information and legal advice

If you do not have a lawyer...

If you do not have a lawyer for an appeal, you will have to prepare and file your documents and do the legal research to represent yourself. You will need to learn about the court system, what documents to file, the specific law in your case, and the possible arguments for your case. This website can help.

In civil and family appeals, there are a couple of issues to keep in mind right away:

  1. There are strict deadlines that you must keep in mind. For most appeals, the deadline for starting an appeal is 30 days from the pronouncement of the order under appeal.
  2. There is not an automatic right of appeal in British Columbia. In some cases, you must seek leave to appeal, which means you must apply to the court for permission to initiate your case. In the civil content, you can learn more in the Leave to appeal section of Appellant Guidebook.
  3. An often misunderstood principle is that an appeal is not a rehearing of your case. For an appeal to be successful, you must show that the court or decision maker made a factual or legal error that affected the outcome of your case.

For criminal appeals, you may appeal your conviction, sentence or conviction and sentence. The steps you need to take may be found in the Criminal Guidebooks.

Where you can find help...

There are many organizations that can provide you with legal information, legal advice, and referrals to a variety of services in your community.

Criminal Services

Legal Services Society: The Legal Services Society (LSS) may be contacted at 604-408-2172 (Greater Vancouver) 1-866-577-2525 (no charge, elsewhere in BC). An applicant may apply over the phone for a lawyer.

Access Pro Bono: Access Pro Bono offers several programs, ranging from summary legal advice clinics to full legal representation services. The criminal roster program provides from a brief review to full representation.  They may provide assistance even after legal aid has been refused. To request help, a litigant may call 1-877-762-6664 or 604.482.3195 Ext. 1505. Michelle Quigg of Access Pro Bono currently coordinates the Appeal roster program and may be asked for by name. The Access Pro Bono chambers duty counsel program is for civil matters only.

Law Centre at the University of Victoria: The Law Centre is a UVic clinical program that will provide assistance in all areas of criminal law, but will only serve those living (or incarcerated) in the Victoria Capital Regional District.  This clinic is participating in our s.684 program. As it is a clinical program, their students have temporary articled status and provide legal advice under the supervision of a lawyer. 250-385-1221.

UBC Law Students' Legal Advice Program (LSLAP): LSLAP is a non-profit society run by law students at the University of British Columbia. Clinics are located throughout the Lower Mainland.  LSLAP is run by volunteer UBC students and is not a true for credit clinical program. Their students do not have temporary articled status.  They can only provide information, not advice with respect to Court of Appeal matters. This clinic is participating in our s.684 program. 604-822-5791.

Native Courtworker and Counselling Association of B.C.:  The NCCABC is a triage service.  They direct Aboriginal and Metis peoples to services available, including drug and alcohol treatment as well as legal aid services. 1-877-811-1190 or 604-985-5355.

Civil Services

Legal Services Society: LSS may provide representation for serious family problems, child protection matters, and some mental health, and prison law issues.  They may be contacted at 604-408-2172 (Greater Vancouver) 1-866-577-2525 (no charge, elsewhere in BC). 

Access Pro Bono: Access Pro Bono has operated a civil chambers duty counsel pilot project at the Vancouver Law Courts since 2008.  Each Wednesday, volunteer lawyers from several large Vancouver law firms provide pro bono assistance and representation to unrepresented low and modest-income litigants appearing in civil (not family) chambers in both Supreme and Appeal Courts. These services, however, must be booked ahead by contacting Access Pro Bono in advance at 1-877-762-6664 or 604-878-7400.  Their offices are located in the Courthouse Library.

Courthouse Library: Library staff encourage the Court to send unrepresented litigants to the library on the 4th floor.  They have a triage desk where a staff member will meet with them for up to 20 minutes and help them find the appropriate service or help them with the basics of research and writing. Library staff has indicated this is an underutilized resource for our Court and have explicitly invited more referrals.

UBC Law Students' Legal Advice Program (LSLAP): LSLAP may provide advice, but not representation on civil matters in the Court of Appeal. 604-822-5791.

Law Centre at the University of Victoria: The Law Centre is a UVic clinical program that will provide assistance in all areas of civil law for those living in the Capital Regional District. 250-385-1221.

Canadian Bar Association (CBA): the Canadian Bar Association provides a lawyer referral service funded by the Law Foundation of British Columbia. The service allows members of the public to consult with a lawyer for up to 30 minutes at a fee of $25.00. 1-800-663-1919 or 604-687-3221.

Community Legal Assistance Society (CLAS): CLAS provides legal assistance to disadvantaged people specializing in the areas of poverty, disability, workers' compensation, employment insurance, mental health, human rights and equality law. 1-888-685-6222 or 604-685-3425.

Clicklaw: Clicklaw is a site that features legal information, including a HelpMap to direct people to the nearest probono service. The service is available in several languages.

To learn more about BC Court of Appeal, select one of these links: